Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Made it to… Southport, North Carolina!

Me and my trainer Elder Richard Dudley, from Calgary Canada

Me with my Mission President Dennis R. James and his wife Jan James

I'm in heaven, Greg is an alligator who lives nearby.  North Carolina has been great, there are so many animals all over the place, including frogs and snapping turtles!


Dear Family,

Well, I made it to North Carolina!  My new companion is Elder Dudley, from Calgary Canada.  He is awesome, humble, works hard and we work pretty well together.  He's been great and helped me learn.  There have already been miracles that i've been lucky enough to be a part of, but I will tell you those on Christmas.  We will let you know soon about Christmas, but plan on 2:00 or 5:00 North Carolina time.

Southport is a great area!  It's beautiful here, the branch is awesome, we meet in a little blue warehouse.  The ward mission leader is great and we will be working a lot together.  The work hasn't been very successful here, I guess they haven't had a baptism in about two years, so we are determined to change that!

I have been great, there have been hard times but I have been OK!  The Lord has prepared me in so many ways to be on this specific mission.  Many of the people here are in extreme poverty and working with the kids from PAL has helped me with that. Sometimes the thought that I'm in this for two years is overwhelming, but there is a quote I like that says, "If you're living in the past you're depressed, if you're living in the future you're anxious, but if you're living in the present you're at peace."  as I remember that I need to be right here, right now, in this moment and focus on the task at hand, it's OK. I have been taken care of.  My trainer is awesome and we have a great senior couple, the Hydes, who are great amazing people, and the branch is great.  I am doing great out here, there have been times when I just go to bed smiling.  I have my angels with me, remember that!

I love you all,
Elder Shields

No comments:

Post a Comment