Monday, December 12, 2016

One Year Recap...

One year recap:  What are some key things that you have learned this last year being a missionary?

I can probably sum up what I've learned best in this scripture:

1 Corinthians 13:1-3


Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

My first two trainers were very knowledgeable of the doctrines of the gospel and so in the beginning of my mission I spent a lot of time trying to gather knowledge and I did, and it was beneficial, but I completely missed the mark.  It doesn't matter how smart you are or how much faith you have, if you fail to use that knowledge and faith for helping others what good does it profit you?  I've learned that love is what matters.  I understood that intellectually before, but I didn't understand it spiritually, and I'm still trying to understand it spiritually, but it's starting to come as I strive to apply it more and more.  There have been a lot of valuable lessons I have learned, but his one is probably the most important one.

I got my Hump Day socks, they are hilarious, I am wearing them right now.  The Christmas countdown is going great, I haven't missed a day.

Could I get my light gray pants sent out?  My jeans got destroyed and I only have my dark gray ones, I will turn these ones into my service jeans and my light gray ones into my p-day jeans.

Funny Story:  Just Pembroke, this place is not what I'm used to, we were driving on a road and ended up in some guys backyard, and then on another road the bumps on it were worse than some boat chop we've experienced.  Elder Tyler gets chased by dogs, but they rarely chase after me.

Investigator Update:

T: was a bible referral who wanted to learn more about the Mormons and we taught him the restoration and he liked it and accepted to be baptized on Jan 13th.

J: Tracted into him and he is currently reading and praying about the Book of Mormon, maybe in an illegal pharmaceutical business. 

A: Friends with J also knows one of the members of the congregation here we just found out, were trying to get him involved in the teaching but he's pretty less active so it will be a challenge but if we can pull it off it will be a two for one baptism and reactivation. 

S: guy who we are trying to help quit smoking 

L & R: found them yesterday she has met with missionaries before and wants to get baptized but cant give up smoking.

Love Y'all,
Elder Shields

No comments:

Post a Comment